If you haven’t been lucky enough to get wireless speakers as a present this year, don’t fear! There is a cheap alternative; a way you can convert your wired speakers to wireless.
Technology doesn’t always keep up with the times. It isn’t always “futureproof.” Your old speakers might have seemed incredible when you bought them in 2003, but when it comes to playing Spotify audio from your iPhone 11 nowadays, they are lacking.
You’ll be pleased to hear that there’s no need to get rid of those speakers just yet. We know you’re attached to them. You’ve played all your favorite albums and taken them every time you moved to a new house. So, it’s time to discover how to turn an old speaker into wireless streamers.
This might sound futuristic, but at TaoTronics we know the simplest way to convert old speakers to Bluetooth. We are living in 2021, after all. We’re surprised flying cars aren’t around yet.
Read on to find out how you can turn old speakers into Bluetooth ones and bring your speakers into the 21st century and keep them playing your favorite records for years to come.
Why You Shouldn’t Abandon Your Old Wired Speakers
Nowadays, you don’t find adverts or even manufacturers making old-fashioned speakers without a hefty price tag. These Bluetooth enabled devices will set you back a lot of cash and leave you with a pair of speakers that look much like your original ones. While modern looking speakers might be cheaper initially, there are still thousands to look through on the internet before you find your perfect device.
Instead of replacing your old wired speakers, why not turn them wireless? We don’t recommend that you abandon or replace them for the following reasons.
- Extra expenditure. Replacing your old speaker is costly. Even if you’re buying cheaper Bluetooth speakers, for instance, the cost can be greater long-term. These are likely to need replacing more frequently, meaning even a lower cost purchase can turn into a big investment over the years.
- Extra effort. There is an affordable and easy to turn wired speakers into wireless streamers that saves you having to trawl the internet to find your perfect new speakers. It’s just easier overall—keep your old beloved speakers by buying one small device, rather than selecting new ones and having to reposition your room to fit them in.
Our trick? Use a Bluetooth adapter! Find out more below.
Advantages of Converting Your Old Wired Speakers to Wireless
We suggest that you turn your old wired speakers into… wireless speakers! By choosing a Bluetooth adapter to make them Bluetooth enabled, you can connect your smartphone, laptop, and even television to them, making it easy to use them to stream music, movies, podcasts, and other audio.
There are many advantages when you convert wired speakers to wireless.
- You can use your old speakers with your smartphone, by connecting via Bluetooth. This means you don’t have to buy CD’s or download albums anymore, and you don’t have to buy endless wires and random accessories to be able to connect your iPhone to your speakers. An added bonus is that you can also connect to any other Bluetooth enabled device, such as a laptop.
- You can use your old speakers with Chromecast for Audio and Echo Devices. Make Alexa sound great as she makes the most of your speakers and have your music and audio choices really fill the room.
- Breathe new life into your wired speakers as part of an established wireless audio system. Upgrade your entire television experience without having to spend extra cash on new speakers.
- Cut down on wire clutter with traditional sources. When you go wireless, you benefit from there being less wires around. Not only does this look cleaner and mean that you can keep your phone with you as you walk around the house—not attached to your speakers—you can keep the wires out of reach of curious hands.
Click here to find out how to add Bluetooth to your old car.
Common Issues People Face When Trying to Convert the Old Speaker into Wireless Streaming without Bluetooth Audio Adapter
Buying a Bluetooth adapter is easy and simple—in fact, this is one of the easiest ways to turn your speakers wireless. You need to make sure you get the right Bluetooth adapter to help your speakers and smartphone connect in the smoothest way possible, and that’s the biggest task.
On the other hand, trying to turn your speakers wireless without a Bluetooth adapter is a tough task. There are different elements to consider, and it often isn’t worth the time or effort when you get similar results simply by purchasing a Bluetooth adapter device.
You might not even be able to find a suitable, easy solution to convert your old speaker into a wireless streaming device without a Bluetooth audio adapter. Remember that a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver is different, as it helps convert analogue into digital signals. With one of these, you could connect your old stereo to your new headphones.
Benefits of Using a Bluetooth Adapter to Turn Old speakers into Wireless Steamers
So we’ve looked at the disadvantages of not using a Bluetooth adapter. But why do we still think you should use a Bluetooth adapter to turn old speakers into wireless streamers? What are the benefits?
There are quite a few benefits, you are probably unsurprised to hear. We list them below, so you can consider the pros of making this decision.
- Bluetooth can sound absolutely amazing due to the development of high-fidelity codecs. Codecs are ways of compressing your files to transfer them across networks, so they affect the quality of audio you will hear across the Bluetooth connection. High-fi codecs are of a better quality, meaning your audio will be immersive and truer to the original.
- You don’t need to download apps or use any extra software. Beyond using what you already have (e.g. Spotify, Apple Music, Netflix) you won’t have to download anything extra to make your speakers work as Bluetooth enabled. Simply plug the right adapter in, connect to it on your phone, and off you go!
- The price of a Bluetooth audio adapter is affordable. Usually, Bluetooth adapters cost anywhere between $15-$60, depending on quality, connection range, and so on. This is a lot cheaper than buying a new set of large Bluetooth enabled speakers. Even if you’re paying delivery on top, you’ll save cash!
- Everyone should find it easy to operate a Bluetooth adapter. They’re usually just plug and go—no more difficult than when you connect your smartphone to your headphones and so on. If you can do that, you can use a Bluetooth adapter. If you haven’t done that before then don’t worry. It’s a simple task that takes well under a minute.
How to Turn Any Old Speakers into Wireless Streamers?
Here’s what you have been waiting for. A simple, step-by-step guide to turn your old speakers into wireless speakers using a Bluetooth adaptor—and an amplifier, if you want one.
1. Buy the appropriate device (a Bluetooth adapter, like the one we sell at TaoTronics). These can be got cheaply off the internet, so no need to head to the store.
2. Follow the given instructions to connect with the devices. If you have connected your headphones to your phone before, this will be simple. You simply scan for devices, then find and connect to the Bluetooth adapter.
3. Get streaming! Once the setup is done, you can stream your favorite music from any music streaming service out of your speakers.
Not sure how to do it still? Watch this handy video walk through from a Bluetooth expert.
Psst—he’s using this TaoTronics Bluetooth adapter.
7 Essential Considerations for Selecting a Bluetooth Audio Adapter for Speaker
We get it, you might not always buy TaoTronics. Even so, we want you to be able to choose the best Bluetooth adapter out there (which we hope means you end up with us anyway!). To do so, you need to know what to look out for.
You should consider the following things when you are buying a Bluetooth adapter.
Things to Think About
- Make sure you can add Bluetooth functionality to non-Bluetooth Audio Sources. This might sound like a simple thing, but there are a few different types of Bluetooth enabling devices out there—no point buying a receiver meant for a car when you need one to change wired speakers into wireless.
- Fast setup for immediate usage. Aim for plug and go without having to download additional apps.
- Relies on A2DP Bluetooth profiles. This is to ensure a smooth operation between the device and whatever you want to play audio from (e.g. your smartphone).
- Low Latency technology. This will stop your audio from having a lag or delay.
- Size. Our advice is to get something small and durable rather than big and bulky, but it will depend what you think will look best with your speakers and the functionality of the devices.
- Quality. This goes without saying but choose a manufacturer that prioritizes quality and has good customer service and warranty. Buying super cheap might seem great at first, but if it breaks quickly and without warranty then you will have to pay out more to buy the device again.
- Price. Similarly, make sure you pick a budget and stick to it. There’s no need to spend hundreds of dollars, or even to spend $50. You can get high quality for less. But do your research to get the best quality for the price.
Learn more about Bluetooth audio receivers at our blog.
Don’t throw out your old wired speakers. Convert them into wireless with a Bluetooth adapter. This easy and simple to use device means you can upgrade your old hi-fi system without having to break the bank or spend hours researching the best new speakers to buy.
We recommend a TaoTronics Bluetooth adapter. Why not check out our full range today?
- How Do I Set Up Hands Free Calling in the Car? - May 7, 2021
- How to Turn Any Old Speakers into Wireless Streamers? - January 29, 2021
- How to Add Bluetooth to Your Old Car? - December 4, 2020